[RE-wrenches] PV encapsulation qualities

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Fri Feb 4 08:33:10 PST 2011

Esteemed wrenches,

As the Chinese invasion continues, I imagine that most of us will end up
using products made in China at some point.

Most of my experience and knowledge has indicated the Chinese modules are by
and large going to be of comparable quality to any other crystalline silicon
module.  The one aspect that I haven't seen much information on is the
encapsulation.

Anyone up on their Tedlar & Tedlar substitutes?  All the Tedlar that I've
known from 80's exterior pipe insulation has truly been amazingly durable
stuff even in direct sunlight.  The stuff typically is still holding up 30
years later.  But now I've been stymied by trying to get backing and
encapsulation information out of manufacturers no matter where they are.  I
am very nervous that less expensive substitution will lead to premature
failure of backing or other encapsulation points.  I've seen too many
plastics undergo breakdown with age to not be nervous.

My concern for a early February day...

Conrad
Cotuit Solar