[RE-wrenches] Multi-MW PV Maintenance

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 2 07:27:43 PST 2011

Hello Wrenches,

I have experience performing periodic inspection, maintenance, and cleaning
of roof-mounted arrays up to 500 kW and smaller ground-mounted arrays, but
no experience maintaining and cleaning multi-MW ground-mounted arrays. Any
experiences you can share would be appreciated. Does someone have a written
procedure?

I would think that first, a review of past performance and any troubles and
repairs would be in order. Then walking or using a slow-moving vehicle like
an open golf cart going up and down the rows would be a good way to make a
preliminary inspection. Stopping and spot-checking fasteners, wiring, and
connections would be required. Opening up and inspecting cabinets and
equipment enclosures would be needed. Then using a mobile sprayer to clean
the subarrays while keeping radio contact with someone monitoring the array
for current and voltage fluctuations (sort of megging for faults). What do
you think?

Joel Davidson