[RE-wrenches] Parallel wire runs to increase size

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Feb 2 08:00:07 PST 2011

Wrenches,

Some of our business involves repairing poor PV solar installations on recreational vehicles. So often we wind up installing a roof junction box and running a second PV to controller wire and then replacing the controller to battery wire size. For instance, we may find a 10 gauge wire run to the controller. We then add #8, #6, #4 or even 2 gauge and parallel to the #10 depending on power and distance of the run. My question: Is there a calculator or chart that will tell me what the combination of any two wire sizes equate to? example: #10 + #4 = X

Thanks.
Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems