[RE-wrenches] Convert Grid Tie SW4048 to Backup System; Add New Inverter, AC Coupled

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 20 09:32:29 PST 2011

Wrenches,

I answered Richard off-list, but other wrenches may find this information about old SW4048s and batteries useful.

The SW4048 is a solid machine. We've been using one since 1998 and have sold hundreds of them for both on and off grid systems. We would leave what's working alone and replace and expand the battery bank to meet the client's expected grid outage hours. Our system has only 4 kWh of sealed batteries because we live in an area that gets almost no power outages and did not want to bother watering batteries. See info and wiring diagram at http://www.solarsolar.com/oursys.html

On the other hand, one of our clients in Malibu on the grid had an off-grid 5 kW PV system for backup power with 75 kWh of IBE flooded lead-acid batteries (2 parallel strings of 24 each 2-volt cells). We installed the system in 1993 but no one maintained the batteries properly. So in 1996 the dead IBE battery bank was replaced with a maintenance-free, sealed Absolyte battery bank that only lasted 4 years because of 40 F to 90 F temperature swings in the equipment room. A few years ago, we upgraded the system with a 31 kW array, 6 Sunny Boys, 2 Sunny Islands, and went back to a new set of 75 kWh of IBE cells like before. Now the batteries are inspected and watered every 2 to 6 months. We are still determining the right service period.

I have learned to buy good batteries, install them where the temperature stays 60 to 70 degrees F. as much as possible, inspect and water flooded batteries at least 2 times per year. All things being equal, sealed lead-calcium batteries cost twice as much and last half as long as flooded lead-antimony batteries. Most importantly, batteries are electro-chemical things just like living organisms. Keep them clean, fed (fully charged as much as possible), properly watered, at 70 degrees F, don't over-work them (deeply discharged without fully charging promptly), and they will last 6 to 8 years easily and often 12 years before old-age (high self-discharge) sets in. Battery bank owners that take care of themselves, their families, their animals, and their vehicles carry those good habits over to taking care of their battery banks. It's sad but true that people who are unhealthy and have vehicle problems all the time almost always have battery problems.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson