[RE-wrenches] Convert Grid Tie SW4048 to Backup System; Add New Inverter, AC Coupled

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sun Nov 20 12:10:23 PST 2011

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:32am, "Joel Davidson" <joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net> said:

Wrenches,

I answered Richard off-list,  but other wrenches may find this information about old SW4048s and  batteries useful.

The SW4048 is a  solid machine. We've been using one since 1998 and have sold hundreds of them  for both on and off grid systems. We would leave what's working alone and  replace and expand the battery bank to meet the client's expected grid outage  hours. Our system has only 4 kWh of sealed batteries because we live in an area  that gets almost no power outages and did not want to bother watering batteries.  See info and wiring diagram at [http://www.solarsolar.com/oursys.html] http://www.solarsolar.com/oursys.html

On the other hand, one of our clients in  Malibu on the grid had an off-grid 5 kW PV system for backup power with 75 kWh  of IBE flooded lead-acid batteries (2 parallel strings of 24 each 2-volt cells).  We installed the system in 1993 but no one maintained the batteries properly. So  in 1996 the dead IBE battery bank was replaced with a maintenance-free, sealed  Absolyte battery bank that only lasted 4 years because of 40 F to 90 F  temperature swings in the equipment room. A few years ago, we upgraded the  system with a 31 kW array, 6 Sunny Boys, 2 Sunny Islands, and went back  to a new set of 75 kWh of IBE cells like before. Now the batteries are  inspected and watered every 2 to 6 months. We are still determining the right  service period.

I have learned to buy good batteries, install them where  the temperature stays 60 to 70 degrees F. as much as possible, inspect and water  flooded batteries at least 2 times per year. All things being equal, sealed  lead-calcium batteries cost twice as much and last half as long as flooded  lead-antimony batteries. Most importantly, batteries are electro-chemical things  just like living organisms. Keep them clean, fed (fully charged as much as  possible), properly watered, at 70 degrees F, don't over-work them (deeply  discharged without fully charging promptly), and they will last 6 to 8 years  easily and often 12 years before old-age (high self-discharge) sets in. Battery  bank owners that take care of themselves, their families, their animals, and  their vehicles carry those good habits over to taking care of their battery  banks. It's sad but true that people who are unhealthy and have vehicle problems  all the time almost always have battery problems.

Best regards,
Joel  Davidson