[RE-wrenches] Enphase 215

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 18:24:22 PDT 2011

William

It seems like the product tries to be everything to all mod manu's, which is hard to do, at best.

Don't know if its a limitation in the electronics or design architecture. Could also be a strategic position to clamp down on what can be plugged into the circuit per NEC to limit their exposure to liability and keeping up with the myriad of modules hitting the market every month.

As you point out, its a delicate balance- insolation vs max harvest. Sites that are free and clear of any shading are penalized, so to speak.

I suspect they are aware of this design challenge and in the future, we will see matched inverters to the mod wattage output to not leave any watts on the table.

Within 24 months, we could even see things go a different direction- mods labeled AC rating first and DC second. If the inverter is built into the modules already, this make the language universal, like virtually all AC wiring in a home.

Keith