[RE-wrenches] Evergreen goes down

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 18 14:47:41 PDT 2011

Hello Jason,

Warranty coverage could be a non-issue if you buy from a company with a warranty escrow account. Still, call-back costs and finding same-size, same-spec replacement modules costs do matter. Factor in travel time, labor, troubleshooting, finding replacement modules, paperwork, phone calls, etc. to replace 200-watt modules that cost less than $400? Not to mention how selling bad products and buying from unreliable suppliers affect your reputation. How many spare modules and inverters can a contractor afford to stock? The risk is always there because even reputable manufacturers make bad modules. The pile of bad modules made by reputable companies keeps growing. Europeans have recently recycled 600 tonnes of solar modules plus thousands of dead inverters. See
http://www.waste-management-world.com/index/display/article-display/2373267650/articles/waste-management-world/opinion/2011/08/Solar_PV_Recycling_-_One_Step_Ahead_.html

600 tonnes at 40 lbs/module = approx 33,000 modules at 150 watts = approx 5 MW. 5 MW sounds like a lot but is only 0.03% of the 16 GW installed PV in Europe. Are wrenches seeing less than 0.03% of the modules they install ending up in the trash or sent back to the manufacturer?

Yes, Astropower made a good module. Some good people use to work there.

Joel Davidson