[RE-wrenches] Responses Welcomed!: 230/400 50Hz in the U.S Off-grid?

Jeff Clearwater jeffc at villagepower.com
Tue Aug 9 15:40:01 PDT 2011

Hi Jay and All,

This island is remote and stand-alone - the client owns the whole island.

Yes the multi-cluster box is available now in the US - up to 60 KWs -
European version goes up to 300 KWs.

400/230 would reduce wire sizes over 208/120 before we go to
transformers and allow bigger micro-grids to make up the island mini-grid.

There's a larger selection of energy efficient appliances and light
fixtures available in the rest of the world vs the US & Canada.

Where exactly in the code does it say that things have to be listed - or
is that a local jurisdication thing?

And the Bahamas uses the Canadian Code.  Bahaman authorities might
accept Euro listings.

That's the thinking so far!

Any more insight from anyone before I waste time on an impossible quest
would be most appreciated!

Best,

Jeff
Village Power Design