[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling Xantrex XWInverters toEnphaseMicroinverters

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Tue May 3 09:11:20 PDT 2011

Jason - A few comments:

1) I did install 1 AC coupled Enphase / XW system and it worked just fine.
After completion someone brought the Enphase warranty limitations to my
attention, so I called Enphase for clarification and they confirmed that any
connection to a battery-based system would indeed void their warranty.  This
was at least 2 years ago so it is possible that this policy has changed.

2) I am of the opinion that, considering Enphase's rapid production
increases and technology that is not significantly different from the AC
modules of the 90's that had such significant failures, Enphase could be
facing a large number of warranty issues in the coming years and redeeming
any warranty might be challenging.

3) I've done numerous AC coupled systems with string inverters and am an
absolute fan.  The systems are more efficient than DC coupled battery
back-up installations (assuming the grid is up most of the time) and the
wiring is obviously easier.

Good luck with the project!

For a brighter energy future,

Andrew Truitt
Principal
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting
NABCEP Certified PV Installer™ (ID# 032407-66)
(202) 486-7507
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713

[image: 24 copy.jpg]

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough