[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling Xantrex XWInverters toEnphaseMicroinverters

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:17:26 PDT 2011

My query to Enphase on the subject and there response

Hello,

Here is a technote which talks about how to use the Xantrex XW with a grid
tied inverter.
http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/852577A4005D7372/all/8FA29D94B918A0FB8525781F0072FCA7/$File/ac-coupling-app-note(976-0240-01-01_rev-a).pdf

There is speculation from colleagues as to whether it would void the Enphase
warranty to AC couple an Enphase array with the XW.  That said I have an
Enphase install where the customer now would like to add batteries. Is this
solution acceptable, and if not can you offer an alternative?

With Regards

Carl Adams

SunRock Solar

513.290.9072 (cell)

513.766.6025 (office)

 =======

Hi Carl,

Battery backup is not an intended use for our inverters, should some fault
in the system cause the inverters to fail then it would not be covered by
our warranty.  Also, we don't currently have plans to support a battery
backup system, we are strictly a grid tied system and are meant to quit
producing when the grid goes down.

That's not to say that it won't work, but it definitely has a potential to
void the warranty if the inverter is used in such a way.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this message and I
will be happy to help you further.

Best Regards,

William Cox

Enphase Energy