[RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more details

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 14:04:03 PDT 2011

At 13:10 -0700 28/4/11, Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher wrote:
>Hugh,
>
>One last point about the Solar Boost IPN product: Once you have
>programmed the 2512iX charge controller from the IPN Pro, the
>controller retains the information and can be installed as a
>stand-alone unit. That means you can have a custom programmed charge
>controller for just a little more than the Tristar you are
>considering.

thanks.

>I don't get your final comment. The group has shared a vast amount
>of information in this thread. If you review all that has been said,
>I think you will be able to make the right choice for your customer.

I am sorry if i seem ungrateful for the many useful ideas that have
been voiced.  I suppose I just like to try to oversimplify things.
At present my over-simplification is to say that, for opportunity
charging, the only thing that really matters is not to exceed the
temperature-compensated absorption voltage.    Until now I had
imagined that it was dangerous to prolong the absorption voltage
stage.  But maybe float is not so important as making sure that the
battery gets enough charge to prevent premature failure.  By the time
the charging current has dropped to the transition current level it
is too low to do any damage and can be prolonged indefinitely (until
wind and sun stop anyway).  This would not work in a grid connected
situation, but seems to fit for mine.  I am sure you guys will point
out if I have got this wrong.
--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig