[RE-wrenches] Incompatible Metals

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Fri Jan 14 17:15:59 PST 2011

Kindly bear with me as I go "back to basics". #10 cu has been my old standby
for bonding the metal solar module frames but in recent years Arthur Ruden @
Sharp told me to use nothing smaller than #8. I don't know if other major PV
mfr's have a similar spec or not but before I buy a spool...

The new (and appealing) Tyco SolKlamp product calls for solid wire only, not
stranded, if I recall correctly. I've never used the solid material because
of the bending difficulty but I now wonder if other grounding methods: WEEB
lugs, lay-in lugs, etc. also prefer the use of a solid grounding conductor
instead of stranded.

Opinions and education are welcomed. As always, the Wrench List is the Bomb!

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind <
kelly at whidbeysunwind.com> wrote:

> Peter,
> Yes the #10 XHHW (2) we use is green-jacketed, and 90˚ rated. We get it
> through our local electrical supply house.
>

> Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
> Whidbey Sun & Wind
> Renewable Energy Systems
> kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
> 360-678-7131
>

> On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Peter Parrish wrote:
>
>  Great idea Kelly! I didn't know one could get green jacketed USE or XHHW.
>> Do
>> you have a source? Also, do you think that we might need wire rated "-2"
>> for
>> 90 deg C wet locations. I know that this is not a current carrying
>> conductor, but roof tops are definitely 90 deg C wet environments. Your
>> thoughts?
>>
>> - Peter
>>

>> Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
>> California Solar Engineering, Inc.
>> 820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
>> CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
>> peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
>> Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885

>>> him. To this day I don't know if the use of this wire for grounding