[RE-wrenches] Grounding Requirement Question

Aaron Mandelkorn reosolar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:59:13 PDT 2011

Wrenches,

Just installed a Magnum MS-PAE battery based system on an E-Panel distribution box and my inspector seems to have an issue with the grounding.  He is saying that I must run an additional GEC down to the ground rod because I am dealing with two separate grounding systems.  The DC and AC side of the grounding system shares the same ground buss bar in the E-Panel so why wouldn't a single GEC down to the ground rod suffice?  The buss bar is where the two systems get grounded together rather than at the rod.  The inspector is telling me to either dig up the rod and run an additional GEC down to it or connect the additional GEC to the existing with an irreversible splice.  Am I missing something here?  This requirement just seem redundant and wasteful.  If I do have to make the correction I will be going with the splicing option.   Some advise on irreversible splices would also be greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to source them locally and have never used them before.  Thanks for any help.

Aaron Mandelkorn
NABCEP Certified PV Installer

Renewable Energy Outfitters
(970)596-3744