[RE-wrenches] Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sat Mar 19 07:53:09 PDT 2011

Hello Wrenches,

I had an inquiry concerning the effect of EMP on photovoltaic
systems.  We are heading for a period of solar activity that likely
will produce this effect.  According to a local AEP (American
Electric Power) representative, the utility is spending a lot of
money to counter this anticipated problem.  Additionally, nuclear
related issues are moving back to the front burner.

It is clear that the pulse would damage an inverter, but possibly it
could be put in a Faraday cage.  But a number of questions arise.
    * Would the pulse damage the modules?
    * Could the large currents and voltages induced by EMP damage the
conductors in the cells?
    * Even if the inverters were surrounded by a Faraday cage, would
induced currents & voltages from the modules harm the inverters?
        * Would series fuses and surge protectors be adequate protection.
Has any research been done in this area?  Does anyone know answers to
any of these questions?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin