[RE-wrenches] Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 19 08:43:55 PDT 2011

The subject of EMP comes up from time to time, usually when real catastrophes occur or imagined catastrophes are expected to occur. In the 1960s, the US military thought that an EMP would affect semiconductors so all the electronics at the nuclear missile base where I was stationed had tubes instead of transistors. Meanwhile, the civilian world was going solid-state. Sure, you can harden your equipment, but no one has ever reported a problem with a PV system as the result of an EMP. I'm reminded of a phone call I got in 1984 from a PV customer living in southern Utah who called himself a survivalist. He asked how his solar module would be affected by an EMP from a nuclear blast. I asked him if he planned to watch the end of civilization on his solar powered TV and told him to get a life.

Joel Davidson