[RE-wrenches] PV water pumping

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 05:29:31 PST 2011

hello Wrenches,
  I have an organization in Haiti that I have assisted with PV projects in the past. They drill public wells and have a well (4" casing) that they would like to pump with PV. Problem (one) is that well will draw at ~ 20 gpm and they want ~ 25,000 gpd from the well. I have tried to look at every option I can and it looks like a battery bank will be necessary and an inverter ( 48 volt battery bank) to pump at the rate required. OOPPs, forgot they want to use a Grundfos SQ Flex pump, 16-SQF-10. The gird is "present".....very erratic and stressed, of course. They really would not like to stress gird further and do not want to add a generator. Yep, they made this easy. There are more details, but has anyone designed a PV water pumping system under these constraints and, if so, what have been your results?
thanks,
tom

Tom DeBates

Habi-Tek