[RE-wrenches] Off grid generator

Randy Brooks Randy at brookssolar.com
Tue Jan 25 09:03:54 PST 2011

Wrenches,

Thanks for the responses, on and off list, to my earlier question about what off grid generator you recommend.

The Cummins Onan 20 kW GGMA (LP, 1,800 rpm, liquid cooled) we're considering also has an optional coolant heater (120vAC, 1,500 watt) that the manual recommends be used any time the coolant gets below 70°F (yikes, talk about a phantom load!)  Has anyone used the Onan 20 kW in a cold climate?  Was it necessary to use the coolant heater to insure reliable starting?  I'm thinking that as long as we keep the starting battery charged with a small PV module, and use the appropriate antifreeze mix, we shouldn't have any problem with winter starting.

Thanks again for the benefit of your collective experience!

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People
140 Columbia View