[RE-wrenches] String Level Monitoring in Combiners

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 17:43:13 PST 2010

Hi Matt:
    If it were inexpensive and reliable, then it would be a good thing.  Until
it is, the clamp-on meter works for me.

    This ties into the conversations about burned up modules, which I frequently
see on projects that I service.  I find that most of the module failures occur
due to overheating at the j-boxes.  The failure of these contacts will often
begin as an intermittent contact, and result to a melt down or burn out.  These
failures are causing such heat, that the glass frequently shatters.  I have felt
the glass getting as hot as a stove top, you could cook on it!  Often times,
these faillures will take out the whole string.

    These types of failures, or partial shading issues, can more quickly be
spotted and addressed with string level monitoring.  I have installed many
Enphase systems, and I love being able to check all my projects outputs from my
desk.  I recently saw that one of my customer's modules wasn't producing power,
I called him up, and he walked out to his ground mounted array.  I asked if any
weeds were shading the module, and he said, "Yes."  He pulled the grass out, and
the output of the modules returned to full power on the monitor.  Those types of
issues will go one for ever in systems with less detailed monitoring.

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537