[RE-wrenches] Array Grounding Ailments (was WEEB)

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Sep 13 23:28:39 PDT 2010

Andrew,

At some point when that tech has to start pulling up modules, he also is going to have to loosen the ground lug. I don't see the situation where we would loosen all the mounting hardware, and not the ground lug. (I've usually seen solid #6 with the Ilsco lugs, so there's very little wiggle room)
Then, as soon as the hardware is loose, not only does the tech need to worry about grounding, he also needs to worry about the module (and himself) sliding or blowing off the roof.

I could see some type of temporary grounding lanyard that not only maintained module grounding while testing, but acted as fall protection for the loose module.
Wearing insulated gloves would be a good idea too, as well as checking exposed metal with a multimeter before touching it.
(has anyone ever seen a DC voltage sniffer?)

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer