[RE-wrenches] Tight roof layout questions: edge walkway requirements & "small gap" hardware options

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Wed Aug 25 22:00:12 PDT 2010

Brian;

I think you laid out the challenges quite well. Keep firefighters safe,
but don't pose unrealistic constraints on PV systems.

You also mention "true accessibility" -- which is a big issue here.

I learned on the first day of class in FF1 Academy from our FDNY
instructor (a real hard-ass) that "firefighting is 200 years of
tradition, unhampered by progress," and how he wanted to change that, to
make firefighters learn new tactics, try new gear, to think things
through to the end result....no injuries or deaths, and maybe even save
the structure.

 I also learned, at about the same time, from the top magazine in the
business... that "guerrilla solar" was really cool. We'll show those
government and utility folks a thing or two. (Damn, I wish I had got one
of those T-shirts....I missed out.) Obviously, that didn't turn out to
be the way to go either.

Thus the dichotomy here.

Are there other ways to ventilate buildings and quickly knock down a
room and contents fire, besides vertical ventilation through the roof
timed precisely with a water fog inside? Yes....a variety of options, IF
proper knowledge and training and equipment are in place. Does your fire
dept. have all that?

Are there easy steps that PV system designers and installers can take to
make their PV installations "firefighter-friendly"? Yes...and they don't
need giant sidewalks of asphalt roofing between each PV module.
Actually, some succinct signage can solve many issues. And PV
module-level isolation with micro-inverters or shade-mitigation boxes is
a fairly big deal---I'll cut into an 18 volt PV module with my carbide
chainsaw any day. I just don't want to cut into that 600 VDC string...

More info on this is coming soon, from a variety of channels: wrench,
nerd, governmental and firefighter. Stay tuned. If you see something
pending ( a new rule, code etc.) that doesn't seem right or would
greatly impact your business, make your voice heard! This is all new
territory, for everyone involved.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting
http://www.buckville.com/