[RE-wrenches] Tight roof layout questions: edge walkway requirements & "small gap" hardware options

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Wed Aug 25 17:58:11 PDT 2010

Just to throw this into the discussion, maybe there can be exemptions written into ordinances stating that if technical issues (system sizing requirements) provide for less than sufficient setback, or walkway space, then maximum DC system voltage cannot exceed 50VDC. In other words use micro-inverters or similar technology that keeps the DC voltage at a single module's Voc.

Another option would be system that employs devices that are able to disconnect the series connections between modules, again keeping the DC voltages below 50VDC

A fire fighter could put an ax through any module without worry of electrocution if it were under 50VDC. See page 22 in this EPRI paper

http://www.narucmeetings.org/Presentations/Dorr-NARUC%20SV%20Panel%202009.pdf

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar