[RE-wrenches] Voltage discrepancy

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Aug 19 18:51:25 PDT 2010

Thanks Jeff,  That could be the explanation.  Outback has metering
issues with the Mate too.  When I talked to a tech support about he
fact that the Mate on my system seemed woefully inaccurate, she
chuckled and affirmed that the were pretty approximate.

-Drake

At 07:12 PM 8/19/2010, you wrote:
>I have seen this on my last 3 MX60 controllers and it is very
>frustrating and looks to be a design flaw. I can calibrate the
>meters to be accurate at either the Absorb point OR the Float point
>but NOT both!! Not only that but the meter calibrations tend to
>drift a bit in just a matter of days, just .1V not a big deal but
>anymore than that on a 12V sealed battery and it could be an issue.
>I spoke w/Outback about this and heard a mumbled "Ahh, uummm, yeah
>that is an issue". I'm guessing that you're seeing the same thing
>and when you spoke w/your customer again and the meters all agreed
>I'll bet it is because the MX was at the "line up point" of the
>other meters (just like a broken clock being correct twice a day!).
>The only way to live with this is to get the more important Absorb
>set point right on and take what you get on the lower end. It works
>and is usable but drives customers nuts when they have additional
>meters. In my experience the Tri-mets are dead on.

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810
CO License 3773