[RE-wrenches] wind scam?

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Sat Jul 24 10:41:50 PDT 2010

Hiya Todd,
Well, your first clue is that in the video, it's installed about 10' off the deck.
The second is the claim that it can reduce your power bills by half. That is particularly interesting when one goes to the website and finds out that it doesn't even cut in until 11.1mph wind speed (most wind gennys start at about 7mph) and the "optimal annual windspeed is 15.6mph! One of the windiest "Habitable" places I know of is the Falkland Islands off the coast of Argentina. Their average windspeed is about 18mph. It's so windy that trees don't grow there and there are no flying insects to speak of.
The baby Helix (2KW Max output by their measurements) has a top of tower weight of 300lbs and calls for a Sch 80 8" pipe for a mount. So... maybe not a scam exactly, but for most of us it's an expensive hunk of kinetic yard art.
cheers, bob-O