[RE-wrenches] Arc fault questions.

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jun 1 11:30:55 PDT 2010

We've had no problems with Outback inverters and AFCI breakers, other than the inverter can't actually generate the 70 amps necessary to make an AFCI trip. (an inspector's AFCI tester didn't trip when expected) I think there should be an exception to the AFCI requirement, when the power supply max surge is less than 70 amps.
As soon as I know its new construction requiring AFCIs, I spec a sine wave inverter.
I still like the old mod sine inverters (cheap, reliable, great surge, more efficient than sine) but they're probably only appropriate for old construction, small (uninspected) cabins, portable applications, and the third world at this point.
Especially now that Xantrex's TR series doesn't appear to be as reliable as the old DRs, we're not specing Mod sines much these days.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer