[RE-wrenches] 30-year old PV module

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue May 25 05:38:10 PDT 2010

I have a couple of Arco 16-2000 modules, that I examined this
morning.  These puppies are rigid.  We are racking some Sharp 235
modules at this time, and we are careful not to flex them.  The
Sharps have good frames compared to many others.  The 16-2000 modules
are extremely rigid.  This discussion has increased my appreciation
of the value of rigid module frames.

At 06:56 PM 5/24/2010, you wrote:
>About half the spec sheets that I see list glass thickness, but only
>a few companies mention cell thickness unless it is in a press
>release. For example
><http://www.pv-tech.org/news/_a/ldk_solar_becomes_largest_wafer_producer_outlines_technology_roadmap/>http://www.pv-tech.org/news/_a/ldk_solar_becomes_largest_wafer_producer_outlines_technology_roadmap/
>
>Even if they do mention cell thickness, it may be for older modules
>or soon-to-be-released modules and not the modules that you buy.
>
>Some people say that thinner cells are more flexible, that they will
>bend before they break wjhen encapsulated in the laminate. On the
>other hand thinner cells are more fragile and break more easily in
>handling. Micro-fractures look like canyons under a microscope and
>act like canyons to electron flow.

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810