[RE-wrenches] 30-year old PV module

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Mon May 24 00:27:37 PDT 2010

I have 3 of those old Arco 16-2000s. They were purchased new back in the
day by my Dad, for what I remember as a really, really high price. But
they sure were handy! All are somewhat browned as they have been in the
sun at 8200 feet elevation since the early 1980s. Power output is still
just fine ....currently they are installed at a neighbor's house; he
just moved up here to an 1890s homestead cabin that had no power.

This article on old solar modules is really good also, and includes PV
longevity info from NREL. Interesting stuff. The 16-2000 in the photo is
one of mine ;-)
http://sunpluggers.com/2009-08/how-long-solar-panels-last-000053.php

And, if any of you like to write -- that Sunpluggers.com solar news site
from the article above is looking for columnists for an 'in the trenches
from the wrenches' or 'ask a PV installer" type of content. I've been
writing for them for 6 months, and they are a dedicated, classy
operation with high ethics standards. They are a steady feed for Google
news, which will get your name and your company name out there. Contact
me off-list if your pen is burning holes in your pocket and you want to
scribble...I'll put you in touch with their editor.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
http://www.buckville.com/