[RE-wrenches] Amphenol Helios as MC4 substitute

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 05:57:20 PDT 2010

I ran into this same issue last month, and had to do extensive research to
determine whether the Amphenol HC4 connector would be 100% compatible with
the Multi-Contact connector.  I came away very much reassured, and we're
switching over to HC4 on a module we're about to release.  The deciding
factors?  Amphenol is a solid, reliable company with many years in the
connector business -- this ain't no cheap Chinese knockoff.  The electrical
connection appears as good as or better than MC, whether mated with itself
or with MC.  Also, the connector is inherently "tool required to disconnect"
so you don't have to remember/source/add/lose any additional hardware,
unlike the Multi-Contact "tool required" sleeve.

The final straw?  After many years of having one manufacturer having a
near-monopoly on the market but with hit-or-miss supply and less than
stellar responsiveness, I'm glad to see another company come to town with a
compatible product.  I'm in.

Phil Undercuffler
Conergy