[RE-wrenches] xantrex xw experiment

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 08:13:48 PDT 2010

Nick,

The answer would be technically yes, but with limitations and I'd question
whether there would be any benefits, only downsides.

To elaborate -- yes it's possible to install two XWs on two different
batteries, using two different arrays and charging sources, but sharing the
same AC grid and backup generator (if the generator is big enough).  The key
is, they'd be totally different systems, with totally different outputs to
different protected load panels.  You might be able to stuff both systems
into one shared XW PDP, but it would require custom wiring and bypass
solutions, and any service work to one system would almost certainly mandate
shutting both systems down.  No communications or shared components between
the two systems -- so you just doubled your costs on balance of system and
metering.  No master/slave relationship would exist (each inverter is master
of its own system), so tare losses increase, and max surge capacity
decreases.  Imbalanced loads between the two systems could deplete one
battery bank and trigger a shutdown of those loads while the other bank had
reserves left to spare.

I think your client would be better off investing in a high quality battery
bank, and taking good care of it.

Phil Undercuffler
Conergy