[RE-wrenches] PV excellent battery charger

bob reellison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 03:46:18 PDT 2010

Hi gang
This is a little off topic but covers battery charging in general.
In an industrial charger situation you don't have the time to wait for the
sun to charge the battery bank. You work the hell out of them for 8 or 16
hours, charge them overnight, then you do it again! The vast majority are
just big "taper" type chargers, with minimal controls.
As solar installers we would love to have all our customers buy enough solar
to charge daily in the available amount of sunlight, wouldn't we?
I have seen forklift batteries taken to the service shop from an industrial
freezer and they had to wait for 3 days for the battery to thaw out before
they could service them.
The industrial chargers that I deal with are primarily 3 phase 480 or 640
volts. The last time that I replaced one, I asked about temp compensation on
the new unit and was amazed when I was told no one did that. It's just a big
dumb battery after all...
There are some chargers out there that I can best describe as a "high
frequency" charger. They are small wall mounted units that have a sound that
you will not mistake for anything else once you've heard it. They seem to
charge in bursts of varying length and help keep the battery temp down that
way.
The battery shops I know hate them, the only way to service them is to bring
a truck full of circuit boards and replace them till it charges correctly!

We mostly use Magnum inverters now as they have a better charger than
Outback and most of the jobs are off grid. Both are good units as we are all
well aware, but the Magnum charger does more charging with less AC power
input. The 4024 does something 105 amps v/s 70 amps DC as a charger and I
think the AC draw is still less. Magnum's weak spot, still no reverse power
input protection to save some dummy who happens to reverse the in and out
hot leads! I hate days like that.

The short answer would have been that we treat our batteries better, charge
quality wise on a bad day, than most industrial sets get treated on a good
day!
Needless to say that would not include owner abuse or neglect, we all see
that.

Later,
Bob