[RE-wrenches] PV excellent battery charger

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Mar 25 14:58:52 PDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 5:55 AM, Warren Lauzon wrote:

> Actually, PV is not a particularly excellent battery charger,

What is better than a properly sized array with the latest controllers?

> Everything else mentioned can be done by any decent AC battery charger.

True, but at great expense. The traditional AC chargers like the ones made by Lester are industry standards, and are archaic in comparison.
Now chargers that come with say an Outback Inverter, that was installed as part of a solar system, do have everything as you mentioned except I'm not sure about the PWM.
We'd need to hear from Chris Frietas or some other Manu rep to further explain the charge regulation on the Outback inverters, and whether it uses PWM.
Outside of the solar industry, batteries are not treated near as well.

Ray