[RE-wrenches] rebar v/s fiber

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Sun Mar 14 08:21:58 PDT 2010

At least for me, the need for and where to put rebar was easier to make
sense of when it was explained to me by a very wise basement contractor that
concrete's strength is compression and weakness is tension.

That's where the steel rebar comes in as it has excellent resistance to
stretching.

For example; engineered prints on basement walls will actually specify the
rebar placed closer to the living space side of the wall.  Imagine the fill
trying to bow the wall like a banana because the footer is holding the
bottom of the wall in place while floor of the house is holding the top in
place.  The fill side of the wall is being compressed and open side is being
stretched.

Hopefully that will help others as much as it did me.

Take care,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services