[RE-wrenches] single string of batts: must the interconnects be inverter size cables?

Warren Lauzon windsun at wind-sun.com
Sat Feb 20 11:36:19 PST 2010

We usually figure that (for example) in a 2-string bank, that one conductor could carry 2/3 of the current if the batteries are unbalanced for some reason. In other words, rather than cutting the amperage rating in half, we cut it by about 1/3. For 3 banks would cut it by 1/2, etc.

Probably not ideal in theory, as in a worst case scenario you could have one totally failed bank, but on the other hand selling the customer on a full array of expensive 4/0 jumpers is not always an easy thing to do. In fact if someone is using that much battery, they should probably be using a 24 or 48 volt system.

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Electricity From The Sun Since 1979
Solar Discussion Forum: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/