[RE-wrenches] single string of batts: must the interconnects be inverter size cables?

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Feb 21 21:19:51 PST 2010

Hi Allan;

I with you, I normally downsize the interconnects in parallel strings to 2/0, but keep them the same as the main cables on anything that carries full current, as Phil made clear.
On golf cart batteries for instance, two 4/0 parallel lugs won't fit under one battery post, now that most manus shortened their posts. Also 4/0 cables can really strain those posts; I saw a couple of systems with 4/0 THHN used (NEC compliant) but the lead post ripped off the battery after several years from the bend put on the cable (creating a much more dangerous and unfused problem BTW)
Some of the sealed battery manus (B&B for instance) give max current output vs time charts, and that not only gives you something for cable sizing, but also is an eye opener, when expecting a single string of two 12 volt batteries to run a 4 Kw inverter. A battery that can only produce 250 amps for less than 5 sec, doesn't deserve a cable sized for 24 hr continuous at that output.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer