[RE-wrenches] Inspectors on ladders and roofs

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:45:56 PST 2010

In many jurisdictions in Maryland the inspectors require photos of the array
showing grounding, wire management, footings, etc...   Like Mr. Nelson, my
experience in the Bay Area (back in '04-'05) was that the installer was
responsible for supplying an OSHA compliant means to access the roof for the
inspector.  Not exactly sure why the difference, but I think it has to do
with the fact that MD inspectors aren't as familiar with the technology /
equipment.  Clearly photos are not equivalent to getting on the roof - I've
examined systems that passed these type of "inspections" with loose ground
lugs, poor wire management, and leaky footings.

For a brighter energy future,

Andrew Truitt
NABCEP Certified PV Installer™ (ID# 032407-66)
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting
(202) 486-7507
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713

[image: 24 copy.jpg]

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough