[RE-wrenches] Battery Bank Off-gassing CO?

Ronald Paredes RParedes at trojanbattery.com
Tue Jun 29 07:49:35 PDT 2010

Hello Daniel,

Unfortunately, I've had to deal with this issue in the past and after countless hours of effort (end-users, fire departments, and my own), the conclusion and/or corrective action has always been to replace the CO detector.

Carbon monoxide or other carbon oxides are not expected byproducts from a lead-acid battery. Lead-acid batteries essentially have three active materials, which broadly speaking are lead dioxide, spongy lead, and sulfuric acid. Since no carbon exists in the active components, carbon monoxide cannot be a byproduct of lead-acid batteries. Lead-acid batteries do produce small amounts of oxygen and hydrogen while they are being charged. Particularly, as the battery approaches the end of charge.  Most battery designs will start producing oxygen when the battery reaches a state of charge of about 70% SOC and will produce hydrogen at about 90% SOC. Both gases will continue to be liberated until the charge is complete.

Hydrogen has been known to be an interference gas for some CO detectors. The sensing technology of CO detector will largely determine how much hydrogen cross-sensitivity it will have, but there is also a hydrogen concentration threshold that will trigger some CO detectors. In most cases, the problem will go away if the end-user improves the ventilation of the room.

Sounds like you are taking all the appropriate steps to resolve the problem... Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Ronald Paredes
Technical Product Manager - Renewable Energy
Trojan Battery Company

12380 Clark Street
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Tel: (562)236-3000 Ext. 3066
Fax: (562)236-3279
rparedes at trojanbattery.com<mailto:rparedes at trojanbattery.com>
www.trojanbattery.com<http://www.trojanbattery.com/>

Trojan Battery Company - Clean Energy for Life(tm)