[RE-wrenches] SWH - mixing valves

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Wed May 19 06:26:30 PDT 2010

Hi Kelly,

Is water quality an issue in that location?

More than one tankless manufacturer lists max levels of all or some of the
following:

pH - 6.5 - 8.5
TDS (Total Disolved Solids) - 500 ppm
Total hardness - 6 grains
Aluminium - 2.0 ppm
Chlorides -250 ppm
Copper - 10 ppm
Iron - 0.3 ppm
Manganese - 0.05 ppm
Zinc - 0.5 ppm

as qualifying for the addition of a water conditioner or softener.

In my experience, many folks, even with conditioning/softening equipment
installed (oftentimes inop), are blissfully ignorant of the effects of
water quality until something stops the hot water.

I personally like Bob-O's approach of a warning label at the hot faucet for
solar applications. The code officials in my neck of the woods do not share
my enthusiasm for this approach.

Because here in STL, we additionally have a chloramine presence in the water
this adds a requirement for specialty o-rings, etc. for control items in the
water path.

Hope this helps,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar