[RE-wrenches] SWH - mixing valves

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Tue May 18 23:14:02 PDT 2010

Thermal wrenches,
I'm having an ongoing issue with mixing valves in my own system not
keeping a steady mix domestic HW temperature as the tank temperature
varies with solar heating. If I set it for (say) 122˚F mix when the
tank is 135˚, it seems to hold that differential at all tank temps -
i.e. when the tank is hotter the mix is too hot (sometimes dangerously
so), and when colder the mix is too cold for a comfortable shower.
Thus, I need to change the setting all the time.

I'm now using a Honeywell valve with a 90˚ - 145˚ range. This is a
replacement for a valve with a wider range that acted the same way.
Any ideas,  suggestions for better valves, or....?

This has me wondering how many of our SWH customers are experiencing a
similar thing, but just aren't bothered enough to say anything. We
seem to have encountered many plumbing situations where the mixing
valve allowed weird backflow or siphoning situations to mess with
system operation, especially with HW recirculation. I thought I had
all such causes eliminated on my system, but maybe not.

Thanks for sharing your experience with such matters.
-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems