[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Outback Grid Problems

Steve Higgins shiggins at outbackpower.com
Mon Apr 5 10:02:10 PDT 2010

Here is a bit more on how RE-BULK and RE-FLOAT interact with the ABSORB
timer. All battery voltages are default and are given as 12VDC nominal,
multiply by 2 for 24V and 4 for 48V systems. All of the following is
true for grid-tie GV or GT FXs only.

Definitions:

BULK - Constant high current increasing battery voltage to reach
absorption stage.

Absorption (ABSORB) - Constant high battery voltage (target 14.4 volts),
tapering current as battery capacity is filled. FX can charge or sell to
this voltage target.

FLOAT - Charging cycle is complete from absorption stage, constant low
voltage (default 13.6 volts) trickle charge to maintain full battery. FX
can charge or sell to this voltage target.

SellRE - Charging cycle also completed, constant low voltage (target
13.0 volts) target similar to Float. Sell RE is typically set lower than
float in order to minimize trickle charge to battery and force more
renewable energy to be exported from the FX inverter. FX can only
sell(not charge) to this voltage target.

Equalize (EQ) - High voltage (target >15 volts) over charge of the
batteries meant to bubble electrolyte which stirs it up to maintain
equal concentration throughout the battery, and to create equal cell
voltages throughout the complete battery string. FX can charge or sell
to this voltage target.

Pass thru - the FX is not converting any power and is silent

All the stages above have target DC voltages associated with them. For
instance, if the FX is in Float mode, the target voltage for the battery
is 13.6 volts. While grid is available the FX can draw current from grid
to maintain 13.6 volts. If a DC renewable energy source is supplying
enough power to bring the batteries above the 13.6 volt target, the FX
can send current to AC loads or back out the grid input to keep the
battery at 13.6 volts. The FX is a bi-directional power conversion
device that will do everything possible to maintain 13.6 volts.

Without grid input, the FX will not be able to actively maintain the
battery voltage at the current target, although the FX will still go
through the same stages, keeping track of battery target and timers. If
the DC sources are less then the AC load demands, the battery voltage
will fall. This can trigger a REFLOAT or REBULK dependent on how low the
battery voltage falls. Conversely, if the DC sources exceed the AC load
demands, the FX cannot maintain the battery voltage at any specific
target. Battery voltage will rise to what ever voltage the DC source
controller allows.

Typical FX charger behavior:

On initial DC power up of all grid-tie FX inverters, a 1 hour stock
absorption exists. Once AC power has been accepted by the FX, the BULK
cycle begins.

After the battery voltage reaches the Absorption set point, the
absorption timer starts counting down and maintains absorption voltage
for the absorption time. Watching the absorption time is the indication
of how long the FX will be in the absorption mode.

After the absorption mode is finished, the next stage is Sell RE. Sell
RE is a target that the FX cannot charge too, but can export renewable
energy if the source is powerful enough. Towards the end of the day,
typical renewable energy, like solar, is not available so the FX cannot
export any more power. In this event the FX will go silent/passthru,
which means it stops any power conversion.

The battery usually still has small DC loads, so battery voltage may
slowly fall during the night. If the battery voltage falls below the
RE-FLOAT setpoint (12.5 volts) then the FX will transition to the FLOAT
stage and charge the battery to the FLOAT target (13.6 volts) for the
FLOAT time (1 hour). After the FLOAT timer has expired, the FX returns
to the SellRE stage and/or silent/passthru.

If the battery falls past the REFLOAT setpoint, below 12.4 volts (which
we call RE-BULK), the FX will change to the BULK stage and the
absorption time remaining will start counting up. The absorption time
remaining will count up in real time as long as the battery voltage is
12.4 volts or below. The absorption time remaining counts in double time
if the battery voltage is less than 12.0 volts and counts in quadruple
time if battery voltage is less than 11.6 volts. In other words the
lower the battery voltage goes the more time the system will have to
remain in the absorption stage up to the absorption time setpoint.

When charging sources (grid or renewable energy) are available again
then the FX can satisfy the absorption stage and continue on to the
SellRE stage again.

Although the stages may seem confusing, they are all dependent on
battery voltage and what target the FX has. The status/meters 1st screen
top line always tells you what the FX is doing and what the target is.
The first word is what the FX is actually doing (PASSTHRU, CHARGE, SELL)
and the second word is the target (BULK, FLOAT, SELLRE, and EQ) where
the FX wants to be. Other sources/loads in you system can achieve these
targets besides the FX. All timers for any particular stage can be
satisfied by the target voltage being maintained for that stages time.
The only stage that has no timers associated with it is SellRE.

One more thing to keep in mind, charger modes (BULK, ABSORB, FLOAT) take
precedence over SELLRE. Setting SELLRE at or below REFLOAT or REFLOAT at
or below RE-BULK, will cause unusual system behavior.

Steve Higgins.

Sr Application Engineer.

Sub-Saharan Africa Business Dev Mgr.

Outback Power Systems.