[RE-wrenches] PV excellent battery charger

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Mar 26 08:44:47 PDT 2010

Is the answer here (at least the one that NABCEP intends) just that the
VMP of a "12V module" is higher than the voltage of a 12V battery? With
the higher voltage it will charge the battery with its corresponding
current based on the I-V curve. The objective reads "Explain why PV
modules make excellent battery chargers based on their I-V characteristics."

 > My understanding is that the voltage, in excess of battery voltage, from
 > the array, represents energy that is dissipated as heat in the
batteries.

Feel free to correct me- the battery would present a load to the module
and then the module would be producing at some point on the I-V curve.
There's no real "excess voltage" lost here; by dropping the operating
voltage of the module you're just not producing your max power out of
the module. The power's never produced- it's not that it's lost as heat
anywhere.

I think we can agree that "excellent battery chargers" is a bit of an
exaggeration unless it's "why PV systems with the magic that Ray
mentioned** make excellent battery chargers."

**A) the 3 stage charging (compared to traditional single stage AC chargers)
B) Temperature compensation
C) PWM that helps pulse off sulfation
D) Slower charge rates let batteries charge more fully without damage
from overheating.