[RE-wrenches] PV excellent battery charger

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sat Mar 27 09:28:53 PDT 2010

Hi Dave,

At 10:44 AM 3/26/2010, you wrote:
>Is the answer here (at least the one that NABCEP intends) just that
>the VMP of a "12V module" is higher than the voltage of a 12V
>battery? With the higher voltage it will charge the battery with its
>corresponding current based on the I-V curve. The objective reads
>"Explain why PV modules make excellent battery chargers based on
>their I-V characteristics

This may be the answer they want.  The "Objectives" deals with the 5
key points on the IV curve, Vmp, Imp, Voc, Isc and Pmp.  From a study
of the curve, the obvious "excellent" load is one that takes power
from Pmp, which direct battery charging doesn't do.  When I draw the
curve, the Vmp of the module is above the resulting voltage on the curve.

What you say about the power loss not being released as heat in the
batteries,  just not produced, makes sense to me.  I've never seen
any real documentation about what happens to the power not gained in
a non MPPT battery charging system.

We can definitely agree that "excellent battery charger" is an exaggeration.

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric