[RE-wrenches] PV excellent battery charger

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Mar 27 10:16:30 PDT 2010

I understand and use MPPT in most of my systems. I agree, its a great idea.
My point is whether you have more modules and no MPPT, or fewer modules and MPPT is the same from the battery's point of view.
We were comparing solar vs. traditional AC battery chargers. (MPPT doesn't apply to AC chargers)
As well, we could compare PFC (power factor corrected) AC chargers to traditional chargers.
Manzanita Micro makes some excellent grid chargers for electric vehicles, that have 3 stage tapered charging ,temp comp, and with PFC, get about twice the charging current
for the same power input. They can be used with Lithium Ion batteries, but are also very spendy.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer