[RE-wrenches] apollo charge controllers

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu Mar 18 05:33:56 PDT 2010

The function described by Todd was not present when I last evaluated the
Apollo unit...and that would represent a major upgrade. Apollo's amp hour
meter is much like the TriMetric...and I believe they have even licensed the
original technology. The Apollo/Tri-Metric also cannot automatically
calculate the battery efficiency...another major item on my wish list for
high end battery monitors.

The Blue Sky i series does integrate the ah meter and the charge controller
logic better than anything I've seen but it can't buck down the voltage over
as wide a range compared to the Apollo or other big MPPT
controllers ...smaller amperage rating, too. Blue Sky i series does
automatically calculate battery efficiency, however.

All in all, the holy grail for the "every desirable feature" charge control
integrated with "optimum" battery monitoring is still over the horizon. It's
a terrific concept which makes the unobtainium all the more disappointing.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675