[RE-wrenches] Generators and Grid-tie Systems

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Tue Mar 2 11:22:49 PST 2010

While inverters are supposed to work this way, and do so very well on
the grid, have any inverters been formally TESTED with various
generators to confirm the theory?

Anecdotes and theories are not enough. Until there are TESTS and
guarantees from inverter manufacturers that expensive generator control
boards will not be damaged, I would err on the side of caution. Get a
waiver from your customer if they insist you connect on the load side of
the generator transfer switch. I doubt you will get an independent P.E.
to sign off on it and take the liability. I could be wrong, but........
why risk it?

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar
http://fafcosolar.com