[RE-wrenches] Generators and Grid-tie Systems

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 11:57:26 PST 2010

Hello all
I am under a time line so I do not have time to review until later.  But I have tried a few times and I can not ever get a grid tied inverter to sync with a generator.  I have been successful with bimodal (Battery based)inverters in a varied ways. (Apollo, Outback, Xantrex)

A word of caution, a generator in parallel with an inverter can give strange voltage spikes.  This is the same as with inverters for mortor drives (never try this with a modified sine wave, and the voltage spikes may be why some people have reported damage to generator boards) .

Darryl