[RE-wrenches] Rennsteig Crimper Tool

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 20 08:08:38 PST 2010

I've waged a 3-month battle with our purchasing department to get the
Rennsteig crimpers into our stock. It's much less expensive, better quality,
and does a tighter crimp than the MC tool.  But.if you actually read the
4-page crimping instructions for MC4 connectors, Multi-Contact is highly
specific that only their expensive tool is to be used. (On which they're
making about a $200 profit per crimper.) Therefore, any cable ends assembled
with the Rennsteig tool could be deemed non-NEC compliant. But really, when
was the last time an inspector demanded to see the tool you used to produce
your interconnect cables?

I eventually won this battle. We're happy to offer a wide range of Rennsteig
crimping, stripping, and cutting tools for MC4, MC3, and Tyco connectors,
plus a selection of dies so one crimper can handle all the different
connectors.

Cheers,

Doug Pratt

DC Power Systems