[RE-wrenches] Back-up from large grid-tie system.

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Mon Feb 1 15:29:52 PST 2010

Hello, Holt et al~

If the client only expects 24 hour autonomy, you could build/supply an
"uninterruptible power supply" for the police loads only, with no solar
recharge dedicated to that system. This would involve inverter/chargers,
appropriate safety gear & some monitoring, and a battery bank big enough to
carry those loads for the requested 24 hours...and no PV array.

When the grid comes back up, that will drive recharge of the battery. If the
client had requested, say, seven days of system autonomy that might point
back to connecting up PV to the system, but for 24 hours of ride-through I
think it's all about the battery...or the generator system with auto
transfer switch per William's suggestion.

Jolliness,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675