[RE-wrenches] Head Spinning..(Con) fused.

Eric Thomas solarepiphany at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 20:40:48 PST 2010

Wrenches,

Can anyone shed guidance on the following for me? Should these strings be
fused:

Total Modules: 44
Total Strings: 4 strings of 11
Total Inverters: 2

Modules: Silicon Energy 195 Watt @ 8A
Each string feeding an independent MPPT input on an Aurora PVI 4.2kW
Inverter (there are 2 / Aurora)
Inverter is transformerless (READ 690.35 (B))

Each strings passes through a shared SolaDeck jbox, no combining, and head
directly to their own dedicated GE THN2261RDC DC Disconnect before entering
a dedicated MPPT input on the inverter.

My big question is 690.9 (A) exception (b) which states I don't need ocpd as
long as "The short circuit currents from all sources do not exceed the
ampacity of the conductors."

Because all four strings pass through the same jboxs and conduit before
reaching their disconnect and could potentially short together, should I
fuse each string?

Or am I just up too late reading code....?

Thanks for being a resource.

--
Eric Thomas
Solar Epiphany LLC