[RE-wrenches] Head Spinning..(Con) fused.

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sat Nov 13 21:26:53 PST 2010

Eric:

The best resource I have found on this subject is the white paper that John
Berdner wrote.  I have a copy on my web site: millersolar.com under Resources.

The general rule is no system with two strings combined needs fuses.  Run
the calcs as presented in the white paper for verification.

Just because circuits share a J-box or conduit is not a reason to
fuse.  Actual connection into an inverter is required before the number of
strings is tabulated.

William Miller

At 08:40 PM 11/13/2010, you wrote:
>Wrenches,
>
>Can anyone shed guidance on the following for me? Should these strings be
>fused:
>
>Total Modules: 44
>Total Strings: 4 strings of 11
>Total Inverters: 2
>
>Modules: Silicon Energy 195 Watt @ 8A
>Each string feeding an independent MPPT input on an Aurora PVI 4.2kW
>Inverter (there are 2 / Aurora)
>Inverter is transformerless (READ 690.35 (B))
>
>Each strings passes through a shared SolaDeck jbox, no combining, and head
>directly to their own dedicated GE THN2261RDC DC Disconnect before
>entering a dedicated MPPT input on the inverter.
>
>My big question is 690.9 (A) exception (b) which states I don't need ocpd
>as long as "The short circuit currents from all sources do not exceed the
>ampacity of the conductors."
>
>Because all four strings pass through the same jboxs and conduit before
>reaching their disconnect and could potentially short together, should I
>fuse each string?
>
>Or am I just up too late reading code....?
>
>Thanks for being a resource.
>
>--
>Eric Thomas
>Solar Epiphany LLC
>(206) 919-3014
><http://www.solarepiphany.com>www.solarepiphany.com

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
>Check out participant bios:
>www.members.re-wrenches.org

>19:34:00

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com