[RE-wrenches] warranty liabilities

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sun Oct 31 16:32:43 PDT 2010

In places like California, and other states as well I'm sure, a PV
integrator needs to provide a bumper-to-bumper system warranty of what? 10
years.

I'd like to know if many, or any, of you all put aside any money to cover
your future warranty liabilities.  (I don't.)

My belief is that we as an industry-at least as far as the large majority of
us who are independent small companies-don't have a clue when it comes to
calculating what our present and future exposure is as far as warranty
liability issues.

Having gone through the boom and bust of the solar thermal business in CA.
in the late 1970s and early 1980s, there were tons and tons of orphan
systems that had been supposedly covered by warranties by companies that
were long gone.  Makes we wonder how close or far we are these days to a
similar situation.

marco