[RE-wrenches] FW: What is a solar installer...?

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Sun Oct 17 19:09:06 PDT 2010

Jamie, yeah i know it's a bit touchy, but it's a hornet nest that is just being realized in this region and needs to be shaken up a bit.  I will look for that article you mentioned.
Other Wrenches, thank you very much for your comments, they are noted and very much appreciated.

As with many trades (auto mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, welders, .....) there will always be do-it-yourself'ers, which is completely fine.  However, each of these trades does follow a specific scope of work for a variety of tasks that they are specifically trained to do, and to do it safely!   I mean, who's gonna tell someone that they can't replace their own car's brake pads or CV axle, even thou they have little or no experience or training and could completely bung up the job and on the next drive have no brakes or messed up vehicle handling and as a result get in an accident, injuring themselves or someone else.  That said, IMO if someone is to be 'trained' as a 'solar installer' they should be trained at the very least, in all relevant electrical theory and code, the electrical hazards and how to protect yourself from associated hazards, having proper fall prevention/protection training, experience/training in various aspects of roof work and safety,  and general workplace hazards and of course how to safely install systems with good quality workmanship (quality workmanship is as much a learned attribute as it is a moral one).
The way i see it is that regardless of how much training you, me or the next guy has, each job will only be done to the personal standards of the person preforming the work, then maybe a supervisor and last but not least, hopefully a competent and thorough inspector.
Nonetheless, proper training needs to be available for folks to be recognized as professionals in their respective fields and when an 'industry' decides its time to draw a line in the sand regarding who can 'officially' do what within that industry, there is bound to be much debate, many view points and varied insights; and who better to ask for these view points and insights than the creme de la creme of the industry.  Again, thank you very much Wrenches, for your comments.
cheers,benn
DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY